I recently made a school cake from an Aldi kit but it was so good I wanted more and more so I worked out a recipe that gives you the PERFECT school cake. I can’t wait to make more as it is soooo good.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SCHOOL CAKE & ICING
- 280g Margarine (at room temperature)
- 280g Caster Sugar
- 5 Medium Eggs (at room temperature)
- 280 g Self-raising Flour (sifted)
- 350 g Icing Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Water
- Sprinkles to decorate (optional)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CAKE
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°c (160°c for fan assisted oven) and I tend to use whatever baking tray I have. I think it is a 9″x12″ inch baking tin with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. I use my mixer but doing it by hand would work just as well.
- Add the eggs one at time, ensuring each is mixed through before adding the next.
- Sift in the flour and gently fold to create a batter.
- Transfer the batter to your pre-lined tin and bake in your pre-heated oven for 30 minutes (40 minutes max) until risen, golden and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. If you have greaseproof paper on it make sure you remove it.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE ICING
Once your cake has cooled make the icing. I tend to make it when it is cooling but each to their own.
In a bowl, mix the icing sugar with a few teaspoons of water, some say to use boiling some say to just use tap. I tend to just use tap water and add it a little at a time until you have a thick icing. If you would rather you can use shop bought or just eat it how it is. It is a very sweet cake anyway so depends how you like it. Once it is made, pour the icing onto your cake, using a spoon or doing what I do and just winging it and finish with sprinkles of your choice. I use rainbow 100 and 1000’s but honestly the choice is all yours.